Want to spend your 67 minutes for Mandela Day doing something that is more environmentally minded? Here are some ideas:
- Pick up litter. No need to go anywhere special – start right outside your own house.
- Calculate your carbon footprint and then buy a tree (or two) from either Greenpop or Food & Trees for Africa while you plan how you’re going to reduce your footprint.
- Install a low-flow shower head if your shower doesn’t yet have one. It’ll save you both water AND money.
- If you don’t already have a separate bin for your recyclables, now is the time to get one and find a spot in your kitchen for it.
- Go through your bathroom cupboard and get rid of anything that has microbeads in it, and then promise to not buy any more.
- Do an audit in your kitchen to see how many single-use plastic items you use – sandwich bags, clingfilm, straws etc. Figure out how you can swop them out for something better.
- Plant a herb or vegetable as the start of a journey in growing your own food.
- Buy yourself a reusable coffee cup and/or water bottle to use instead of takeaway cups or plastic bottles.
- If you aren’t using energy-saving light bulbs then you definitely need to use this time to change them. This is a must.
- Go for a walk around your neighbourhood and appreciate the world around you instead of heading to the shops and buying ‘things’.
What am I going to do I hear you ask?
Well, we did spend 2 hours in the river this past Sunday and brought out 4.5 black bags of trash… and we’ll probably do it again this Sunday, so I will consider that my 67 (plus a bit) minutes.
Do you have any other ideas? Are you doing anything environmentally focused? Let me know.